Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tale Thirty Three: When Raid Leading Goes Bad

I learned a very important lesson today.

Loot rules are there for a reason.

Mr. Littlebark had a business thing tonight and our other Officer has dropped from the face of the world (of Warcraft). So it was up to yours truly to lead the raid. We use the Ep/Gp loot system in After Hours, and its usually Mr LB and the other Officer that control that. I have no idea what they do make the mod work. By the time I got home, I helped a guildie with her respec, got the Flasks, Fish Feasts and Mana Pots ready and by the time I was ready, it was already time to raid.

I hadn't had time to read up on the Ep/Gp thing. So I told everyone that we'd just be doing /roll for tonight and Mr LB and the other Officer could sort it out later.

However, whilst I stupidly did that, little did I know that to one guild, I would be basically slapping him in the face and giving the loot to and alt rather than to him. Said guildie didn't roll on the item, he didn't tell me about it until after the raid.

But it is still my fault.

Here's why:

1) Loot Rules are there to avoid drama. When you have a looting system, people are happy. If we had used Ep/Gp, that guildie would have gotten the trinket. He had the highest amount of points, he donates more to the bank and he's always early. Always! He's one of our finest people. And because of me, he almost quit the guild.

2) I feel like I let him down. I couldn't get the trinket back to him, because by the time he told me, 2 hours had gone by. He refused to let me open a ticket on his behalf. I feel like utter crap because of my leadership, someone had been kicked in the teeth.

I talked it through with the guildie. Like I've said, he's one of the best we have. I remember every recruit story, and I remember his clearly. I have nothing but good memories of him. He gives 110% to the guild. Hell, he even let us know -by INGAME MAIL!- that he wasn't going to be able to be at a raid because of RL. Hell, most people in the guild just don't show up. I have family in that guild and they never tell me if they'll be there or not.

Anyways, guildie. If you read this, I'm sorry. You're one of our best. I'm proud to have you in our guild.

~LB

No comments:

Post a Comment